Wednesday, February 1, 2012

QR Code Picture Frame

The other day I was surfing Pinterest and I ran across this cute Valentine's Day card. Immediately I thought....I can do something like that. This is what I came up with....something that can sit on my husband's desk at work and him know we are thinking about him. You see, my husband is very much a tech guy. He could really care less if I make him some kind of frilly love note declaring 366 reasons why I love him (believe me, I only recently came to this realization). I thought this might be more suited to him and his love for technology---and the fact it is a little bit on the geeky side.




I started to do a little research because honestly, I'm not a techie in comparison to my husband. The first search was how do I make one of the QR Codes by myself. Let me tell you, Google is a wonderful tool! I'm sure there are many great QR Code generating websites out there, this happens to be the one I found first and it was user friendly enough for this girl that doesn't know enough about computers and tech stuff. I went to quirfy to generate my own code. Below are a couple screen prints showing how easy this process really is!



Step one, type in the message you want to display with the QR Code.


Once you hit "qurify," the code is displayed to the right. You have the option to print the
code from there or save it as a file. I chose to save the file that way I could resize it if I wanted to.


I resized the image (careful to keep it a square).
This resizing was perfect for an 8x10 frame.

Here is the code itself. So easy!! I know there are other programs where you can link a photo to the code.
I plan on playing around with that some in the future too. If you have a scanner on your phone,
just scan this box and you will be able to see the "secret" message!

To be able to scan the code, you need an app to do it. ScanLife is the one I happen to
have on my phone that I use for other codes I come across. Again, I think there are
SEVERAL out there to pick and choose from.


I just cut a piece of card stock to fit into a 5x7 frame and cut out the
QR Code to attach to the card stock.


Here's the finished product. Here in an 8x10 frame.

Here in an 8x10 and 5x7.

My son scanning the code to see if it really works.

It does work! It says "We love you and hope you are having a wonderful day!"

I think the next version(s) of this will have pictures and codes meshed together to make it even more meaningful. What a fun and pretty unique gift to make/receive! Have fun playing around! The possibilities are endless!



No comments:

Post a Comment